Business Rule: a guide for conduct or action; a criteria on which a decision or judgment may be based
- Enable the business to make good, consistent operational decisions. An operational decision is where some minute-to-minute, day-to-day determination must be made in performing business activity.
- Retain know-how. A business rule is explicit, not tacit, so if you lose the person, you don't lose the knowledge.
Rule Management: the skills, techniques and processes needed to express, analyze, trace, retain, and manage the decision logic used in day-to-day business operations
- Manage decision logic first and foremost as a business problem rather than a technical problem.
- Make business rules directly accessible to those duly authorized.
- Ensure that business policies, regulations, and contractual obligations are interpreted in a faithful, repeatable, transparent fashion.