Working with Business Rules: Capture, Specification, Analysis & Management
Now you can learn state-of-the-art techniques from the world-leaders in the comfort of your own work desk!
Do your business processes always produce correct and consistent results? If not the problem probably lies with your business rules and decision logic. Business Analysts need the right techniques to fix these problems – process models, use cases, data models and other requirement techniques just aren’t right for the job. This hands-on series will equip you with proven techniques for success.
- Why business rules
- What benefits you can achieve
- What business rules are, and are not
- Business rules vs. business processes
- Kinds of business rules: definitional vs. behavioral
- How the business should react to violations
- Business rules and decisions
- What skills you need to capture business rules effectively
- What you need to know
- Capturing business rules from people’s heads
- Capturing business rules from great big documents
- Using facilitated sessions
- Step-by-step approach
- What about reverse-engineering business rules from code
- Do’s and don’ts
- Business policies vs. practicable guidance vs. automated rules
- The role of business vocabulary
- Step-by-step approach
- Clarity and completeness
- Eliminating ambiguity
- Addressing exceptions
- What to avoid and why
- Basic principles for rule analysis
- Rule quality
- Handling conflicts
- Developing business reactions to violations
- Simplification – When, why and for whom
- How to validate business rules with business people and SMEs
- Verification – Examples
- When to use decision tables
- How to set up decision tables
- Decision tables and business process models
- What your decision tables should not do
- Decision tables and business vocabulary
- Best practices
- Alternative formats
- Completeness, subsumption and conflicts
- Business rules and requirements
- Properties of business rules
- Traceability of business rules
- Retaining corporate memory
- Managing the life cycle of business rules
- Business rule management – examples
- Business rules and rule engines – implementation examples
- How to get started
Benefits for You and Your Company
Easy: A phone line and computer with access to the Internet is all you need. Just dial in, enter your access code, and click to the website. Follow along with hand-outs provided in advance.
Convenient: No airlines. No travel. No time out of the office. Now you can learn state-of-the-art techniques from the world leaders in the comfort of your own work space.
Affordable: Your costs are a fraction of the normal travel and registration fees for public or on-site seminars. Do the math!
Unlimited Participation: Put a speakerphone on your end so as many people as you want can listen in – there’s no extra cost. Use a projector for the video portion too if you like.
Team Training: Use these sessions as a cost-effective, time-efficient means to train supervisors, managers and staff on key points in a manner they will remember and act on.
Effective: Our sessions give you pragmatic techniques you can start to use as soon as you’re off the phone.
High-Impact: Fast paced and highly focused. No wasted time – perfect to fit your busy schedule.
Self-Directed: Attend an entire series or any single session – or some combination – it’s your choice.